Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thursday update

As you may be able to tell, my word count has not gone up in the past two weeks. In fact, it's actually gone down a little because I did some editing.

I really want to work on my story, but life is just too demanding at the moment. It's the most wonderful time of the year... and the busiest. Finals are coming up, and my mom is coming next weekend to stay. I'm thrilled that she is coming, but I have to find the bed she is supposed to sleep on under all the junk piled there. Every day, more papers come home from school with Jeffrey and end up on the dining table, along with the daily accumulation of junk mail. I have to shove the whole pile over so we can eat dinner. But if I throw it out without sifting carefully through each and every piece, I just know I'll end up throwing away some bill or valuable receipt, so it has to sit there until I can sift.

Tonight is the Christmas program at school. I really don't feel like dragging myself and Jeff and Mark to the packed auditorium at the high school, with a couple hundred other pairs of grumpy parents. But, it's tradition and I think the kids are looking forward to it. For some reason, I can't get excited about it.

I do know I've been up way too late for too many nights, trying to get work done when the house is quiet. I need to get back on a regular sleep schedule; I'm sure I'll feel better.

It's hard to sleep, though, when so many sad things are happening. I feel very tense right now. The election was depressing enough in itself, along with all the announcements of things the Democrats are planning to do. International problems haunt the news. Plus there have been recent deaths among friends and family, and serious illnesses, and other problems. And the perennial doubts about whether I'm making the right parenting decisions, and doing enough to bring Jeff up in a Christian way. I don't think I am teaching him enough about the Bible at home, but I'm not sure how to do it, either. He hates singing Bible songs, and groans about our nightly devotions, so I'm scratching my head about what to add.

I think I'll end this cheerful rant, and go have some chocolate.

No comments: