Thursday, March 25, 2010

Live in Concert: David Dubas (and Justin Moore, too)


This weekend I finally got to see my cousin David perform live with rising country star Justin Moore.  David is is playing bass guitar in Justin's band and even doing some backup vocals.  They are currently in the midst of a 200-city tour with Brad Paisley but were in town by themselves at a local country club this Saturday.  So we went and had dinner and got to see the band perform up close and personal.



I must say I really enjoyed the show.  Justin is a dynamite performer, and David cuts quite a striking figure. He's tall and lean, with long hair, a fancy red guitar and an open-necked shirt.  No cowboy hat however.  C'mon David.  At least a belt buckle?  Some boots?  Just kidding, you looked awesome!


 My only complaint is that Justin kept getting in the way of my attempts to photograph Dave.  What a ham!


After the show, my husband and I took David to a quiet corner where we drank coffee and talked until 1 a.m. It was great just getting to sit and talk with him.  Mark hasn't seen him for about five years.  I think the last time I laid eyes on the lad was last August when I just happened to be visiting his parents on his birthday.  He only gets home a few times a year, and now with this big tour he's traveling almost constantly.  We talked about everything he's done to get to this point in his career and how glad he is that he went back and finished his music degree, and what his plans are for the future.  As well as family stuff and all that miscellaneous talk that happens when you're with someone you know well but rarely see.

Two things really struck me about our evening and our conversation.  One is how absolutely, breathtakingly ordinary celebrities are. The other is how lonely life on the road is.  But, he's doing what he loves to do and seems very relaxed and comfortable both on stage and off. I'm so happy for him!  He's hooked up with a quality performer in Justin, who's got a good head on his shoulders and the right attitude as well.

We can't wait to see David, Justin and Brad in concert in June.  It's still a bit hard for me to believe that this strapping guy with the guitar is the little kid I used to play with.  Seeing David again inspired me that if you pursue your dreams with dedication and perseverence, they really can come true.



No comments: