Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday... ugh!

Who invented Mondays anyway?

This Monday was especially hard, coming back to teaching after a week of Spring Break, which I spent almost entirely working on the book. That, and panicking about money. I'm afraid I may have to go back to work full time. So, I'm feeling even more pressure to get it done.

I really wanted to finish the second draft last week, but I wasn't able to do it. Part of the reason for that is that I spent a whole day (12 hours) working on my chapter outline. There is something very disheartening about a chapter outline. It's like having to describe a gourmet meal of pecan-encrusted mahi mahi in a mango pineapple sauce served with a side of corn and pepper relish and sweet potato straws as "fish and chips."

The good thing about the chapter outline is that it points out weaknesses in the plot. I am thinking that there are some things I should change, although at this point it's a bit too late. I don't know if I can do it. The biggie is The Thing That Faldur Did in Chapter Thirty-One (I can't spoil it here) which I can't take out because it's so brilliant and consistent with his character and all that jazz... so I had to un-do it at the end of the book... and I am not really sure if I like that (the un-doing)... but if I don't the readers are going to be totally upset with me and never want to read another book of mine again. But, as it's written, it just doesn't work for me. I just... Groan. Sigh. Bang head on keyboard.

So I really don't know what to do at this point. Other than what I am doing, which is steadily revising up to that point.

I spent about 3 hours today working on my glossary... which is really more of a dictionary... of the Hanorjan language. That is more than anybody wants to know, but it needed to be done. I even conjugated the verb "to be." Now, that is thoroughness, folks. I did include the word "dalharug." I couldn't help myself... I had to keep it in the book. For the background of this term look here: Name of a Name of a Name

And now, of course, it's almost 9 p.m. and because I blew my whole afternoon I now have a couple of hours of work ahead of me for school tomorrow, despite the fact that I'm totally brain dead and exhausted. And Jeff is also way too tired from our busy weekend, and grumpy, and getting into trouble with Mark, so I have to referee, and it's just... awful tonight. So, I guess I'll coax my son into bed, take some Alleve and a pot of coffee and just sit here and work while my spine slowly twists me into an office chair hunchback...

Okay, I need to look up for a minute here:
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Cor. 10:31

No comments: