Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sometimes Dreams Really Do Come True!


My family have been calling and emailing each other this week with great excitement.  Why?  Because Justin Moore's single "Small Town USA" off his self-titled debut album hit #1 on both the Billboard and USA Today country music charts.  You can see it here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2RZQlx

Why do we care?  We're not related to Justin Moore. However, my cousin, David Dubas, plays bass guitar in his band, touring around the country with him.


David with Josh Cross and Justin Moore

The band does not appear in the "Small Town, USA" video.  Justin hogs the spotlight in that one, along with a bunch of nameless actors.  Phooey!  Dave does appear as a tall, indistinct, wookie-like figure, playing guitar in the distant background of their first video, "Back That Thing Up."  The video is about teaching scantily-clad girls how to drive tractors, in case you were wondering.  Catchy tune, terrible video.  I told Dave that if they had shown Justin and the band members with their shirts off, driving tractors and pouring water over themselves, it would have been a lot better.  He laughed at that and said, "Noooooooo!"
I saw him perform on television last month, and he really has an awesome stage presence.  He seduces that guitar as if it were a woman he was desperately in love with. I hope they'll feature the band more in some of the future videos.

Here is a photo of him when we were kids, and another onstage with the band. He is on the right in the second photo.  You'll notice his hair has always been something of a problem for him.

Just kidding, Dave!  We're really proud of you, and I give you permission to post embarrassing childhood photos of me when I'm famous, too.  (By the way, this blog is not listed on Google, and can't be searched.  Just so you know.)


This news has really given me a lift this week.  It made me realize that perhaps my own dreams aren't as impossible as I sometimes think.  David is a very focused and talented young man.  He's not there for the fame or the parties (although I'm sure he enjoys both); he's there for the music, and was willing to do what it took to prove himself.  The life of a musician is truly not glamorous or pretty most of the time.  In fact, it's downright grueling.  But it has its moments... like this one!


"I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Thanks for reminding me, Dave!  And, once again... Congratulations!!!


6 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Yay! That's so cool! I bet he's worked hard, too!

Laura Martone said...

That's wonderful news, Christine, and even though you want to be a writer (not a musician), the same philosophy applies. Stay focused on your dreams, work hard to achieve them, and you just might get there!

Regina Quentin said...

Oh, that's awesome! It does serve as a wonderful reminder that our dreams are attainable, we just have to work hard for them. Thank you for sharing this thought.

Pam Halter said...

Very cool! Yep, you never know. That's why we keep going.

Edit said...

Christine, I`m now in Singapore with Dani and I opened my email postbox now. Congratulation for David! And thank you that you were thinking of me to post it :))))
Great song!

Nighfala said...

Oh, by the way Dave... the blog is now listed on Google. Sorry! Ha ha.