Saturday, May 30, 2009

Random Saturday

I haven't blogged for a while, so I am going to make myself post something.

Here's a photo of Zeke on his blankie. The little rascal got out yesterday when I came home from the store, hands full. (Note to self: Have hands free when entering the house until Zeke is leashed.) He took off down the street as fast as his little legs could carry him, ears flapping in the wind, stopping only to pee on the stop sign before he turned the corner. Fortunately, another couple was walking their dog and he stopped to sniff. The gentleman grabbed his collar so I could catch up. I babbled my profuse thanks as I scooped him up in my arms.


At least I can pick him up easily! He seemed to know he was licked and didn't struggle.

Random thought: I've met a lot of people lately who are in second marriages. Or whom I didn't know were in a second marriage until now. The irony is that most of these people seem to be blissfully happy, whilst those of us still mucking through our first marriage seem to spend quite a lot of time, well, mucking through. It's ironic that the experience required to know oneself thoroughly and to choose a really excellent partner, seems to come from being married to a bad partner. Or perhaps those in their second round are trying harder, in order to overcome their fears of losing another one. Or, which is more likely, the subset of those who have experienced divorce or loss who are willing to re-marry are the optimistic type who tend to succeed.

I wouldn't know, and hope I never do! I'm happy for all of them, and glad I didn't have to go through that. But it does make me think about the choices we make, and how our experiences add to our self-knowledge.

Work: None in sight. Mark has been laid off for two months now, and I'm getting nervous about the Fall. Praying very hard to know whether to seek full-time employment. The union is saying not to expect work for a year, but Mark thinks that may not be accurate, particularly with his certifications. However, he doesn't expect to work as steadily as he has been since I've known him. He says that there are tons of projects waiting to start, but the banks won't finance them. I'm so glad we dumped all that taxpayer money into the banks, which we, our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren will have to repay, aren't you??? GRRRRRRR!!!

I have been assuming I could support us if I had to, but now I'm realizing that I've been out of the statistics field for so long that I may not be able to get a job again. I wouldn't mind being a lowly analyst, but I don't think it would pay enough to keep us going once the unemployment runs out. And teaching just doesn't pay enough, period. I have zero hope of selling my novel and don't know if I'll ever finish it. I just haven't got the heart for it. 54 days and counting.

I'm sorry I'm so depressing today! See, this is why I haven't blogged.


Well, it's a bright sunshiny day and we have free tickets to the Motor Sports Park, then we are going to two birthday parties. So I'm going to try to forget all about it and have a good day!

4 comments:

Mitch said...

Good luck to your family and the whole work thing. I'm in a similar boat. I graduated with my BA in psychology roughly a year and a half ago and haven't really been able to get a solid day job. I've been surviving on gigs and teaching mostly (I'm a drummer).

I'd also love to sell my novel, as it would bring in some much needed cash, but my stuff needs a lot of work before an agent will pay it any attention. Here's to both of us selling our work someday! *cheers*

Nighfala said...

Hi Mitch! I really feel bad for all the college students and recent grads out there.

I was seriously thinking yesterday of sending agents queries as to whether the book was worth finishing - like a cover letter and the first few pages, and including a little postcard with a box they could check with "yes" or "no". That way I could know if it was even worth the time to finish the manuscript. I don't think they'd appreciate that, though. ;-)

Or, I could address the letter to the lowly underpaid screener. I know - put a $5 bill in and say "Take this fiver and have some coffee on me, but would you look this over first and send the postcard back?" There you go!

Edit said...

Christine! I've read your blog you wrote yesterday. I think of you a lot and pray.
There is a Hugarian proverb: "where is the need there is the help"
I wish I could help you!
Love from Edit

Nighfala said...

Dear Edit,
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers! I wish I could see you in person to give you a hug. I think we will be okay. It is not unusual for Mark to be out of work for a month or two, and he has worked very much the past year. It is just that it IS unusual for this to happen in summer time, and of course all the news is bad.
I am so glad to have you for my sister.
Love,
Christine
P.S. If you see Gabi tell him hello and thank you for the CD. I owe him a letter.